Who doesn't love a good throwback? Baby pictures aside, old-school fitness ads provide some of the best vintage gems out there. We gathered seven of the most memorable for you to laugh — or cringe — about. It's hard to believe some these ads actually ran, but for purely entertainment reasons today, we're so glad they did.
Anyone with a desk job knows the pitfalls of sitting all day. Your legs . . . they miss moving around! Thankfully, some smart Redditors are sharing their ingenious hacks to get you feeling healthy while stuck in that cubicle — aside from taking the stairs or using a standing desk, of course. Once you read 'em, you'll have no excuses!
- The unhealthy snack hack: "I work a desk job, so I sit on an exercise ball, and put a $1 in a jar on my desk every time I don't cave and get an unhealthy afternoon snack. When it gets to X amount, I buy myself a new piece of workout clothes."
- The lap around: "I work at a desk in a large building so I try to do a lap of the floor once an hour. It's about a five minute walk."
- The co-worker competition: "A friend at work and I have started a game where whenever our boss leaves the pod, we do push-ups. We haven't started a full-on competition yet, but we're hoping to, soon. I also have a resistance band (the kind that's just a strip of rubbery material) that I keep at my desk. I haven't been keeping up on the exercises my PT had me doing to correct my scapular (shoulder blade) tracking, so I'm doing that at my desk, now."
Tell us: what are some unexpected ways you get in some extra exercise?
It's the season for giving, but not all gifts are always welcome. Case in point: gym membership. It's one thing if you ask for it from your significant other or your parents, but it's another if they give it to you unsolicited. Sure, it might send the wrong message ("Are they trying to tell me something?"), but on the flip side, it could be a harmless gesture (maybe they heard you say you wanted to focus on your fitness, and they're just being thoughtful).
We want to know: how would you react if someone gave you a gym membership for the holidays?
Great news, friends! A grain-less life doesn't have to be free of foods that are as healthy as they are tasty. Over the past 12 months, we came up with recipes for the gluten-free that everyone will enjoy, regardless of dietary restrictions. Ahead, find our favorites from the year. From breakfast foods to desserts and everything in between, you'll want to try them all right away. Enjoy!
There's no shame in saying it: this year was all about the butt. Whether you wanted a toned tush for bikini or skinny-jean season, we brought you the workouts to help you achieve that showstopping derriere. It doesn't matter how little time you have to spare — these six videos are all about booty-lifting results.
Sure, you know lentils as the protein-rich legume that helps lower cholesterol. But you also probably know it as a boring bean. We're here to tell you to forget that last part! Ahead, check out six healthy but flavorful recipes you'll crave all year round.
Red Lentil Tomato Soup
Red lentils are a special kind — high in fiber, they keep you feeling fuller longer. That's why we love this healthy spin on classic tomato soup. Special ingredients like Italian parsley and red wine round out the light dinner that still satisfies.
Lentil and Red Pepper Bake
Looking for a quick meal? Here you go! The red bell peppers — high in vitamins and fiber — perfectly complement protein-rich lentils in this low-calorie recipe. What's even better, you'll be surprised at how large a 250-calorie portion of this cheesy bake really is.
Millet, Lentil, and Pomegranate Salad
Lentils star in this genius recipe from POPSUGAR Food, along with other nutritious ingredients. The millet — a healthy, often-overlooked grain — and ruby-red pomegranate seeds are so tasty: all you need is some lemon, parsley, and green onion for a star-studded salad you won't soon forget.
Butternut Squash Lentil Soup
Considered a weight-loss superfood, lentils make for warming soups that you'll reach for time and time again this Winter. This incredibly simple recipe is packed with flavor, thanks to cumin and turmeric, the bright yellow spice known for its anti-inflammatory properties. To make the soup even more seasonal, add some butternut squash.
French Lentils With Potatoes
For a great protein-packed meal, look no further than this easy Winter salad from POPSUGAR Food. The mix of classic French flavors like onions, carrots, parsley, and French lentils just can't be beat. You'll see that it calls for steamed potatoes to vary the texture, but this part is definitely optional.
Cumin-Spiced Lentils With Quinoa
A perfect option for vegans who are also gluten-free, this savory lentil stew is comfort food at its finest. Consider it a creamy dish full of protein, fiber, and flavor, all less than 400 calories.
What do yoga cats and muffin tops have in common? Funny you should ask! They make perfect fitness-related gifts for any white elephant exchanges on your calendar this season. For friends who can take a good joke, these 10 finds are ones they'll never forget!
Haven't you noticed? No place is off limits when it comes to taking selfies, not even bathrooms or the red carpet. So it's no surprise that people have been taking and sharing gym selfies — or gym "healthies" as they're called. Many of you participated when we asked you to post your healthie snaps, but not everyone can get behind the trend. Some consider it inappropriate or awkward at best ("Let me just pretend no one else can see me"), while selfie supporters see nothing wrong with some sweaty self-love.
We want to know: what's your take on the gym selfie showdown?
Just when you think you've gotten your hands on the best fitness gear or health food of the year, another tempting one comes along. Instead of trying them all, we did the work for you! Throughout 2013, we tested the best of the best, from shoes to sunscreen to snacks. Check out our top picks, and buy them for yourself now, or give them as gifts this holiday season. They'll be just as noteworthy in 2014; they're that good.
Everyone has a favorite workout routine, that's for sure. For some, that consists of cardio, like running or cycling, and for others, it's all about strength training — hello, kettlebells! We know each has its benefits (strength training burns more fat! Cardio kills more stress!), but the debate over which is better may never end.
We want to know: when it comes to getting the body you want, do you prefer to break a sweat on the treadmill or reach for the dumbbells? Shout it out by taking our poll or commenting below!
If you're going to indulge a little this Thanksgiving (and who isn't?), might as well get some workouts in beforehand. That's just what some celebs did the week before the big holiday shebang. From running in the rain to jogging with studded fanny packs, see what these famous faces were up to in the workout world before chowing down.
The actress was quite the multitasker as she talked on the phone while taking a jog in Los Angeles.
Not even the rainy weather could stop Emmy Rossum from a pre-Thanksgiving workout.
Fergie was all geared up for a jog in Los Angeles with her personal trainer (check out that studded fanny pack). Think she was listening to The Black Eyed Peas?
Runway or parking lot? Rosie Huntington-Whiteley showed off her fit body while leaving the gym in Los Angeles.
Hilary Duff was full of smiles and looking comfy after she hit the gym for a pre-Thanksgiving workout in Los Angeles on Wednesday.
Chilled soup is one of those light lunches you could have every single day in the Summer. It's healthy, tasty, refreshing — what else could you ask for from a hot-weather meal? Ahead, we've rounded up recipes that go beyond the chilled soup you're used to (think beet bases, avocado creaminess, and peach gazpacho). Get ready, get set, and start sipping!
The stands of this year's Wimbledon may be full of celebrities, but the courts are packed with world-famous athletes donning their best game garb. Getting the look yourself is easy by swapping your regular ol' workout clothes for these tennis-inspired finds. Whether you're exercising at the gym or outside, shop on for pieces that will get you in the spirit of Wimbledon.
It's easy to stick to the same gym bag routine — throw in your workout clothes, hair tie, water bottle, and head for the door. But this Summer, shake things up and give it a makeover. After you've picked out a stylish Summer tote to take you from gym to beach, stock up on these seasonal essentials. Whether you're taking your workout outdoors or sticking to the gym, our picks are perfect for the hot weather upon us.
- Swell Insulated Water Bottle ($35): Keep your water cold — up to 24 hours! — while you exercise in the heat thanks to Swell's sleek bottle that comes in a range of Summer-friendly colors.
- iLuv iPhone 5 Armband ($30): In a sea of bulky bands, this one is modern, moisture-wicking, and even comes with reflective highlights to alert drivers when you're out for a Summer night run.
- Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil ($9): Now that you know the power of tea tree oil, stock up to heal weather-chafed skin after being active outdoors.
- Towelmate Towel ($25): A small-sized, germ-shielding towel will free your gym bag from bulk so you can go Summer socializing post workout.
- Nuun Hydration Tablets ($5, originally $7): Replace lost electrolytes after warm-weather workouts with flavored hydration tablets. All you have to do is dissolve them in 16 ounces of water.
- Yes to Cucumbers Cleansing Face Wipes ($8): How refreshing and soothing will these convenient face wipes feel after sweaty, outdoor yoga?
- Alba Botanica Bloom Terratints Tinted Lip Balm ($12): With just a few swipes, keep lips protected from the overhead sun and moisturized with a hint of color thanks to this SPF-15 balm.
- Lavanila "The Healthy Deodorant" ($14): A deodorant that promises to fight odor while soothing and conditioning the skin? Consider it your must-have Summer toiletry.
- Kiss My Face Natural Mineral Sunscreen ($17): Sunscreen is essential for the hot months, and even more so when you're spending hours outside exercising. A paraben-free, SPF-40 version will become your summertime best friend.
- Luna Fiber Blueberry Vanilla Bar ($24 for 12): Work a Summer fruit flavor into your post-workout snack with this blueberry-based bar that's equal parts healthy and tasty.
These simple, grain-free protein crepes can be sweet or savory and also make a great gluten-free wrap substitute!
Read on for the recipe after the break!
Doughnuts do not have to be an off-limits food. Get your fill with this healthier recipe from FitSugar reader pure2raw. She posted her gluten-free, vegan doughnut recipe in the Healthy Recipe community group.
Looking for a healthy breakfast? Make these easy homemade doughnuts! Perfect for those who have a minidoughnut maker, but the recipe can be made as minimuffins, too — enjoy!
Not quite frittatas, not quite quiches, these portable egg muffins are packed with good-for-you greens like kale and get a healthy kick from fresh jalapeño. They're a great make-ahead meal that you can enjoy all week long!
Read on for the recipe.