Fortunately, the gift of fitness doesn't need to cost you a fortune. From the yogi or the runner to the gym rat in your life, here are 10 gifts under $10 any fitness fanatic will adore. And with the price so low, you'll want to pick up some of these items for yourself, too!
- 15 things to do before the end of the year — Smart Living
- Bundle up your phone with these wintry cases — Tech
- Stay healthy during your 9-to-5 work week! — Fitness
- Buy these luxury lip balms without any remorse — Beauty
- How to expertly decorate with garlands — Home
- You wouldn't even know these are diaper bags! — Moms
- Prada's new jewelry line is a girl's best friend — Fashion
- Listen to Lea Michele's new single! — Celebrity & News
- Drool over these hazelnut oatmeal chocolate chip cookies — Food
- Video: Pantone has chosen the color of 2014! — Beauty
- Sneak a peek a Jupiter Ascending with the first trailer — Entertainment
- LOL with the best single-lady tweets of the year — Love & Sex
Even if you won't be gliding down a runway in your finest lingerie (like the Victoria's Secret models will be doing on our TV sets in a month), nothing complements a killer holiday look more than toned, strong muscles. Take a cue from the Angels' book with all our 10-minute Victoria's Secret video workouts, all in one place.
- Full-body workout: Follow along with trainer Andrea Orbeck, who has worked with Victoria's Secret models Heidi Klum, Karolina Kurkova, and Doutzen Kroes, as she sculpts your entire body in this no-equipment, total-body workout.
- Bikini boot camp: It's time to kick it up a notch — this 10-minute bootcamp workout will have you sweating it off in time for the holiday party circuit.
- Arms, legs, abs: Whether you're toning up for New Year's Eve in Vegas or a trip down the aisle, this bridal arms, legs, and abs workout with build lean muscle where you need it most.
- Butt workout: Lift and shrink your backside with this 10-minute butt-toning workout.
Can't get enough? Watch more of our videos to learn the exercises favored by Victoria's Secret Angels Candice Swanepoel, Miranda Kerr, and more!
If you're traveling for the holidays and worried that your ab workouts will fall to the wayside as a result — don't be! We're bringing you not one but three different exercises to tone your tummy right in your hotel room. The only equipment you need is a bed and a chair, so you can work out and relax all in the same space. Does it get any easier?
Who doesn't love a good throwback? Baby pictures aside, old-school fitness ads provide some of the best vintage gems out there. We gathered seven of the most memorable for you to laugh — or cringe — about. It's hard to believe some these ads actually ran, but for purely entertainment reasons today, we're so glad they did.
How could you not want to be in a class with these smiling faces?
Fact of the day: There was something called a Slim Gym that wasn't meant to be eaten.
These Beauti-Bells would have zero chance today.
When being "fit" meant not being skinny.
Where can we get this deal?
Who knew Milk ran such serious ads?
If only every workout could be this wicked.
If you're trying to keep close tabs on added sugars and calories, it's time to rethink a daily Starbucks Peppermint Mocha. This seasonal drink should only serve as an occasional indulgence — not an everyday occurrence. Just one tall peppermint mocha (made with two-percent milk and no whipped cream) weighs in at 250 calories with 40 grams of sugar.
Backing off your Starbucks habit will help your waistline (and your wallet), but you can still enjoy the holiday scent and flavor regularly, just with a new tradition. Swapping out your peppermint mocha for a cup of hot peppermint tea keeps your drink in the spirit of the season while supporting your healthy goals.
It suppresses appetite: Mint's strong scent has been shown to help control your appetite and suppress cravings. If you're always reaching for a sweet treat after dinner, consider sipping on a cup of hot peppermint tea to help curb your dessert desires.
It supports digestion: Multiple studies have shown that peppermint tea can calm down your gastrointestinal tract and allow for healthy bowel movements; in short, it keeps things moving and flowing naturally in your body. Dr. Oz says that peppermint tea can alleviate constipation, get digestion back on course, and that even folks suffering with IBS symptoms may find relief with peppermint oil capsules.
It keeps you relaxed: In a NASA-funded study, researchers found that during a stressful commute, subjects who smelled peppermint decreased their anxiety and fatigue levels by 20 percent and decreased frustration by 25 percent. When it comes to weight loss, increased cortisol levels from heightened stress can have negative consequences on your metabolism. The calming, soothing scent from your peppermint tea can help reduce stress and keep your body on track.
I'm a big fan of Yogi Tea's Purely Peppermint Variety ($13) that you can buy online or at the supermarket, but it's also easy to make your own fresh, homemade peppermint tea in your kitchen. If you don't love the minty flavor in your tea, trying lighting a peppermint candle or taking a few whiffs of peppermint essential oil instead. Many natural forms of the scent could prove to be helpful and effective!
Anyone with a desk job knows the pitfalls of sitting all day. Your legs . . . they miss moving around! Thankfully, some smart Redditors are sharing their ingenious hacks to get you feeling healthy while stuck in that cubicle — aside from taking the stairs or using a standing desk, of course. Once you read 'em, you'll have no excuses!
- The unhealthy snack hack: "I work a desk job, so I sit on an exercise ball, and put a $1 in a jar on my desk every time I don't cave and get an unhealthy afternoon snack. When it gets to X amount, I buy myself a new piece of workout clothes."
- The lap around: "I work at a desk in a large building so I try to do a lap of the floor once an hour. It's about a five minute walk."
- The co-worker competition: "A friend at work and I have started a game where whenever our boss leaves the pod, we do push-ups. We haven't started a full-on competition yet, but we're hoping to, soon. I also have a resistance band (the kind that's just a strip of rubbery material) that I keep at my desk. I haven't been keeping up on the exercises my PT had me doing to correct my scapular (shoulder blade) tracking, so I'm doing that at my desk, now."
Tell us: what are some unexpected ways you get in some extra exercise?
A healthy day should always include a good-for-you breakfast. It boosts metabolism, fuels you through the morning, and inspires an all-around healthy lifestyle. This year we cooked up a lot of healthy breakfast recipes — both sweet and savory for long brunches and those times we found ourselves rushing out the door. Take a look at some of our favorites that will keep you full well beyond the New Year.
— Additional reporting by Lisette Mejia
It's the holiday season, and we're getting in the spirit with our favorite holiday gifts. We've been rounding up our picks for everyone in your life, and now we want to gift you with something from our amazing giveaways. For day two of our Favorite Holiday Gifts Giveaway, we are giving you the opportunity to refresh your workout wardrobe with $2,000 to Nordstrom.
You wave goodbye to your friend and it feels like your arm is jiggling even after you've stopped waving. Don't fret. It's easy to tighten and tone up your arms — just hop on your yoga mat and do these eight poses that will strengthen and sculpt your arms in no time. Move through this sequence on one side and then repeat again on the other.