Slimming down for Summer takes time and dedication, but a few quick tricks can help you feel a little bit lighter in just one day. Read on to get our tips on how to feel less bloated and puffy — and have a flatter belly — by the end of today!
Chock-full of protein, eggs are a quick and easy way to get protein any time of the day. From omelets in the morning to quiche at night, you may be shying away from the yolks to save calories and cholesterol. The yolk may contain all the fat, but it also contains most of the vitamins and nutrients. Take a look at the comparison below to see what you may be missing when you hold the yolks.
|1 egg white||1 egg yolk|
|Total fat (g)||0||5|
|Saturated fat (g)||0||2|
|Vitamin A (IU)||0||245|
|Vitamin B12 (mcg)||0||0.3|
|Vitamin D (IU)||0||18.2|
The yolks are where it's at if you're looking to up your intake of vitamins A, B12, and D, as well as your daily calcium, folate, and omega-3s. If it's cholesterol you're worried about, the recommended limit is about 300 mg a day. That means you could enjoy an egg a day if you wanted to, but it's important to be mindful about how much meat, cheese, and other dairy products you eat during the rest of the day.
If Friday night means heading to the nearest pub for a beer and a burger, you probably don't want to know that your simple order of a burger and fries can run you over 1,400 calories. That's a day's worth of calories in one meal, not even counting the added calories of a beer or dessert. You don't have to give up on your burger entirely — just follow these calorie-saving tips.
If going veggie doesn't do it for you, eat half the beef patty instead of the whole (306):
Calories saved: 153
Skip the cheese:
Calories saved: about 100 per slice
Only eat half the bun instead of the whole (160):
Calories saved: 80
Sweet and creamy ice cream pints fly off the shelves in the Summer months, and while Ben & Jerry's is a popular brand, you might like the more basic yet scrumptious Häagen-Dazs flavors. Below shows what 100 calories of raspberry sorbet looks like, but chances are one little scoop just won't be enough. Check out the chart below to see how many calories are in your favorite flavors of ice cream, gelato, sorbet, and frozen yogurt, so you can arm yourself before polishing off an entire pint.
|1/2 cup Ice Cream||Calories||Fat (g)||Cholesterol (mg)||Carbs (g)||Sugars (g)||Protein (g)|
|Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough||300||18||75||30||23||4|
|Chocolate Chocolate Chip||300||19||85||26||22||5|
|Chocolate Peanut Butter||340||23||85||26||22||8|
|Cookies & Cream||250||16||80||22||19||4|
|Dulce De Leche||270||16||75||27||27||5|
Don't see your favorite flavor? Keep reading to find out the calorie amounts of other ice cream flavors as well as gelato, sorbet, and frozen yogurt.
Want to turn your body's fat-burning potential up a notch? Check out these five ways to wake up and up the calorie burn.
- Exercise: That dawn workout doesn't just put a pep in your step; exercising in the morning also helps boost your metabolism, more than exercising at other times of the day. Studies have shown that people who exercised in the morning burn more calories than those who exercise at other times of the day, so lace up your sneaks and greet the sun for an added calorie burn.
- Add intensity: Good news for the time-strapped: a recent study found that a simple intense 2.5-minute burst of exercise can lead to an increased afterburn all day — up to 200 calories worth, in fact. Need ideas on how to add intensity to your workouts? Here are five short exercises that will help you burn extra calories fast.
Three more ideas after the break!
OK, ladies, it's time to get serious. If you're planning on losing a few pounds before you hit the beach this Memorial Day, you've got two weeks to plan. Read on: we've got some no-fail tips for you to tone up and lose weight in two weeks.
You were happily losing weight eating right and exercising, but with five more pounds left to go, the scale stopped budging. Find out what can cause weight loss to hit a wall and what you can do about it.
- I'm all about breakfast, lunch, and dinner: When counting and restricting your calorie intake, it makes sense to eat fewer times a day. The problem with this is it can make blood sugar levels rise and fall like a roller coaster, which slows down metabolism. Keep that metabolism going strong by eating throughout the day, every few hours. Keep those three meals, but sprinkle 150-calorie snacks in between.
- I'll just have a salad: Just as eating too many calories can cause you to hit a weight-loss wall (or even gain weight), not eating enough calories can also prevent you from slimming down. If your body senses that it's not getting enough, your metabolism will slow down and hold onto fat. So be sure not to skip meals or go below 1,200 calories a day.
- I eat 1,200 calories a day, I think: If you've figured out a set number of daily calories with a nutritionist, you're one step closer to dropping pounds. It's easy to underestimate calorie amounts, or forget about those handfuls of M&M's you innocently grab off your co-worker's desk, both of which can contribute to going over your daily calorie limit without you even realizing it. Keep yourself honest by writing everything down in a food journal. We're talking every single sip, lick, and nibble you take. If you have a hard time not cheating, share your food journal with a friend.
- Oh, let's try that new restaurant: Eating out while trying to lose weight is possible, but it's much harder. Since you're not preparing the food yourself, you really have no idea how many calories you're consuming, plus you tend to eat more than you would in your own kitchen. So keep the meals eaten out to a minimum of once a week, and follow these tips to save calories when you do dine out.
- I'm heading out for another run: Yes, running is a wonderful workout that burns calories and strengthens your muscles, but doing the same exact workout every single time you exercise is a surefire way to hit a weight-loss plateau. Your muscles need to constantly be challenged in order to keep your metabolism from slowing down. You can keep running, just beef up the intensity and mix it up with hills and sprinting intervals. Also include other forms of cardio such as biking and swimming to work other parts of your body. It's also important to include strength training three times a week since lean muscle burns more calories than fat.
It's no secret that pregnant women easily put on a few pounds each month until their bundle of joy arrives —unfortunately getting rid of that weight is not so effortless. Along with eating right, exercise is a sure way to getting your body back to the way it was pre-baby. Our basic postpartum exercise time line helps you determine how and when to slowly add exercise so that you can watch the number on the scale drop as your baby grows.
Go ahead and hail down the ice cream truck! You've gotta stay cool on a hot, Summer day somehow, right? Before you wolf down a Dove Bar, Strawberry Shortcake, and Fudgsicle all at once, you might want to know how many calories those cool desserts are costing you. We're in no way trying to rain on your ice cream sandwich parade — you deserve to indulge every so often — but these photos will help give a visual to those trying to count ice cream calories.
In order to lose a pound in seven days, you need to cut out or burn 3,500 calories in a week. That's 500 fewer calories per day. If you just can't squeeze in a workout, then here's how you can cut those calories out of your diet — a little bit at a time.
Please note that this is not a full day's meal plan, but rather examples of where you can cut calories in your daily diet.
- Choose vanilla Greek yogurt (120 calories) instead of blueberry-flavored (140 calories) to eat with your granola: save 20 calories.
- Top yogurt with half a cup of fresh berries (42 calories) instead of adding a quarter cup of raisins (108 calories): save 57 calories.
Breakfast calories saved: 77
Continue reading to find out how to cut the rest of your calories from lunch, dinner, and dessert.