Twisting the torso to one side increases flexibility in your spine, but you'll be bringing the fire to your legs, as well, in Side Fierce:
- From Eagle Pose, untwist your arms and come back into Chair Pose.
- On your exhale, cross your left elbow over to your outer right knee. Press your palms together, and actively push your bottom elbow against your thigh to lift and rotate your chest up, increasing the twist. Pull your right left back slightly, making sure both knees are parallel.
- If you feel stable in this pose, take a more advanced variation. Place your left palm on the ground, and let your right arm float up toward the ceiling, with your palm facing forward.
- Stay for five breaths. Then inhale as you press into your feet and lift your torso, rising back into Fierce pose. If you can, refrain from straightening your legs to keep your quads and glutes engaged.
- Exhale to cross your right elbow over your left outer knee, holding for another five breaths on this side.