It's the perfect time to give the body a clean slate, but detox mode isn't defined by a diet of lemons and maple syrup. Candice Kumai of Top Chef fame began developing this recipe on her search for a healthier version of fat-laden coleslaw. What she ended up creating was a detox and diuretic salad that stands strong on its own. Apples marry with the dynamic duo of red and Savoy cabbage, combining for a fiber-filled meal that aids in digestion. The addition of fennel seeds adds to the fiber factor, plus a kick of cayenne boosts your metabolism.
1/2 head Savoy cabbage
1/2 head red cabbage
1 Fuji apple
1/4 red onion
1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
1/2 cup golden raisins
For the dressing:
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
2 teaspoons agave nectar
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Using a mandoline or sharp knife, thinly slice the cabbage, apple, and red onion to resemble extremely fine confetti; transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the walnuts and raisins. Toss gently to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing.
- Top the salad with the dressing. Using salad tongs, mix until evenly dressed.
- Main Dishes, Salads, Vegetables
- 4 servings
- Cook Time
- 20 mins
- Calories per serving