A little bit sexy and a little bit demure, a backless wedding dress can hit the perfect note on your big day. To wow with your posterior as you walk down the aisle, here are a few exercises that tone your back (and backside!).
Superman Booty Lift
Multitask with this exercise ball move, which tones your back and butt to help you look your best if you've chosen a formfitting, backless wedding gown.
- Lie on your belly, and hold an exercise ball between your feet.
- Engage your abs, and extend your arms straight out in front of you.
- As you inhale, squeeze the ball and lift your knees, arms, and chest off the floor. Hold for a count of 10, and then slowly release your body back to the floor.
- Repeat for a total of 10 lifts.
Bent Over Lateral Raise
Work your shoulders, upper back, and deltoids with the bent-over lateral raise:
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand, and stand with your feet hips-width distance apart. Keep a slight bend in your knees. Fold your torso forward so your back is almost parallel with the floor and your hands are under your shoulders. Draw your abs in to protect your lower back.
- As you exhale, lift your arms out to the side so they are in line with your shoulders. Keep a slight bend in your elbows. To get the upper back working, think of sliding your shoulder blades together. As you inhale, slowly lower the dumbbells back to the starting position. This counts as one rep.
- Complete three sets of 10 to 12 reps.
Read on for two more moves.
Side Kick on All Fours
Give your butt a lift, while toning side muscles, with this mat move:
- Start on all fours with hands underneath your shoulders and knees under your hips. Keeping the knee bent 90 degrees, lift the left leg until it is parallel to the floor.
- Keep the left thigh still as you straighten your left knee, kicking your leg out to the side. Don't let the leg lower as you kick it.
- Bend the left knee back to 90 degrees, then lower the leg. This completes one rep.
- Do three sets of 20 reps per side.
Lying Hamstring Curl
This move is great for toning your backside:
- Start by lying flat on your back with an exercise ball under your heels. Bridge your hips up, and hold that position through the entire exercise.
- Flex your feet and dig your heels into the ball. Place your arms straight out to your side for support — don't use them, though; they are just for support.
- Slowly roll the ball toward your body as you curl your heels. Keep your hips in the bridge position, and don't thrust them toward the ceiling as you do the move.
- Then slowly return to the start position (straight legs, hips bridged) to complete one rep.
- Do three sets of 10-15.