Warmer weather always makes we want to go for a nice long walk in the park. I always see college kids, running around barefoot, and tossing around a frisbee.
Some ladies are causal frisbee tossers, and others take the game much more seriously. Ultimate Frisbee has taken this carefree pastime to a whole other competitive level.
It's like a whole bunch of sports rolled into one. You play on a field similar to one used for football. It requires the athletic endurance of soccer, and the quick thinking and passing of basketball. It's played by 2 teams of 7 players.
In order to score a point, you need to catch the frisbee in the other team's end zone (kind of like football). You can run around unless you have control of the frisbee, then you need to stay put until you pass it.
If you want to play, you can always get a bunch of your buddies together for a friendly game, but you could also join a club, team, or game in your area.
Want to see the 10 rules of Ultimate Frisbee? Then read more
Here are the rules:
- The field is rectangular, with endzones at each end. A regulation field is 70 yards by 40 yards, with endzones 25 yards deep.
- Each point begins with both teams lining up on the front of their respective endzone line. The defense throws ("pulls") the frisbee to the offense.
- Each time the offense completes a pass in the defense's endzone, the offense scores a point. Play is initiated after each score.
- The disc may be advanced in any direction by completing a pass to a teammate. Players may not run with the frisbee. The person with the disc ("thrower") has ten seconds to throw the frisbee. The defender guarding the thrower ("marker") counts out the stall count.
- When a pass in not completed (e.g. out of bounds, drop, block, interception), the defense immediately takes possession of the frisbee and becomes the offense.
- Players not in the game may replace players in the game after a score and during an injury timeout.
- No physical contact is allowed between players. Picks and screens are also prohibited. A foul occurs when contact is made.
- When a player initiates contact on another player a foul occurs. When a foul disrupts possession, the play resumes as if the possession was retained. If the player committing the foul disagrees with the foul call, the play is redone.
- Players are responsible for their own foul and line calls. Players resolve their own disputes )there are no referees).
- Ultimate Frisbee stresses sportsmanship and fair play. Competitive play is encouraged, but never at the expense of respect between players, adherence to the rules, and the basic joy of play.