White elephant gifts are tricky; they can't be too personal, since you don't know who they're going to end up with, be it man or woman, senior citizen or college student. Still, you don't want to give something too common and boring, either, for fear of your present ending up in a regifting box. The solution? Look for items that have universal appeal but stand out in a clever and design savvy way. I've rounded up 10 ideas to get you started, almost all at around $20 or less.
Fake mustaches are always a crowd-pleaser in white elephant gift exchanges, but they don't exactly allow a fit lady to express herself through the gift she brings to the table. White elephant parties are all about having fun, so let's have some, shall we? Instead of going all-out wacky, I chose gifts that are lighthearted but might actually be put to use by some party guests. Don't forget to check out all of our gift guides for inspiration as we inch closer to the holidays.
- Salad Wrench: This uniquely designed kitchen accessory will give some lucky recipient the tools she needs to kick start a healthy diet. It would also make a good conversation starter at the dinner table!
- Potty Putter: OK, so I had to include one true gag gift. A golf enthusiast can multitask by using his time on the pot to practice his putting skills. The man demonstrating the product looks like he's having so much fun, doesn't he?
- Richard Simmons: 80's Blast-Off: The master of fun fitness videos, Richard Simmons has a big following, and you might find a few fans fighting over his '80s-themed tape.
Christmas is so near. I can feel it nipping at my heels. I have been sharing some gift guides with you, but in terms of humor, this one takes the cake.
Gag gifts go a long way in my family. It is a hearty tradition! Here are some White Elephant, I mean Ele-fit gifts, for you to consider.
- Flip-flop Socks: Yep, these split-toe socks were designed especially to be worn with flip-flops. The split is strategically placed to accommodate the thong — the toe kind.
- Wholesome Wear Swim Suit: This modest swim wear that leaves a lot for the imagination. It combines the swimsuit and beach cover up into one garment. It protects from lustful gazes as well as sun rays.
- Z-CoiL Sneakers: If Dr. Seuss designed orthopedic shoes, he might have dreamed these up. The shoes are designed to help relieve foot, leg, and back pain by reducing impact to the body.
When I was little, my parents always threw a White Elephant Christmas party. I ran around in my Clara (from the Nutcracker) pajamas and watched quietly as everyone fought over the best gifts. The most memorable parties were the ones when my dad would let me pick his gift. Now that I'm all grown up I'm planning my own version of a White Elephant party with a red and green theme. Not only am I asking guests to bring a wrapped gift, I'm asking them to come dressed in red, green or a combination of both colors. To carry the theme throughout the party, I'm only making red and green food. Wanna host this party too? read more