From marathon runners to desk dwellers, tight hips plague many. The discomfort in your hips might be caused in part by tight hip flexors, the group of muscles that flex your femur and pull your knee upwards, the glutes, and even your inner thighs. The good news is even a minute of targeted stretching can help! Show your hips some love with these quick and easy stretches.
- Sit on the ground, bending both knees and bringing your feet together.
- Using your hands, open your feet up like a book. Use your muscles to press your knees down towards the floor. This will help to open your hips up even more.
- Draw your belly button towards your spine. Relax your shoulders and gaze either in front of you or towards your feet.
- You can keep your hands on your feet, pressing your knees down with your arms, or if you want more of a stretch, extend your arms out in front of you. Stay here for at least 5 breaths.
- Starting in a plank position, bring your left foot up and around and to the outside of your left hand.
- Hold for 5 seconds and bring the foot back into the plank position. Repeat this movement on your right side.
- Complete 10 reps on each leg.
Keep reading for one more stretch that will help release tension in tight hips.