When a huge new trend like feather hair extensions arrives, few people stop to consider where those feathers are actually coming from. Turns out, our trendy hair accessories are leaving the nation's fly fishermen without the fly ties they need. I spoke with Keith Westra of Leland Flyfishing Outfitters to get the scoop. See what I found out about the toll fashion is taking on trouts' least favorite pastime when you read more.
Here at Sugar, holiday season is already in full swing — you better believe I've been making my list for who's been naughty and nice! To make gift shopping a breeze for you, we'll be offering up a bevy of gift ideas in the coming weeks for all the special fit folk in your life.
If you're like me, you have a man in your life that likes to fish. As a young girl, I always looked forward to weekend fishing trips with my dad, but I've since traded in my reel for a yoga mat and a day on the rocks. My dad is still going strong, though. Here are a few things I'm scoping out for him that may come in handy for the special fisherman in your life, too.
- Fifty Places to Fly Fish Before You Die ($16) Beautiful photographs and descriptions of the 50 best fly fishing spots in the world. This book gives the fish fanatic something to dream about, or inspiration for his next trip.
- Tie-a-Fly ($22) Bob Henley's fly kits are an easy and inexpensive way to learn how to tie fly patterns. Each kit comes with enough material to tie 12 flies.
- Gallatin Lanyard ($39) Every good fisherman needs to have his gear handy, and a lanyard is an easy way to keep the essentials within an arm's reach. It's padded with foam to keep the neck comfortable, and it has an adjustable length of nine to 27 inches.
- Embroidered Clearwater Mesh Vest ($57) Even knee-deep in water, you still gotta look good! No fly fisherman is complete without his vest, and this one gets you remembered for the personal embroidered pocket.
- Fly of the Month Club ($60-220) For three, six, or 12 months, the Fly of the Month Club will send that special someone premium flies right to their door.