The popular workout Pure Barre has a fresh philosophy on fitness, and it involves more than just toning the tush. The 55-minute class fuses key elements of ballet, Pilates, and weightlifting. Through use of a special barre and small isometric movements, the intense class sessions work to burn fat, tighten abs, and firm arms, glutes, and thighs. The result is a graceful, challenging workout designed to build a lean dancer's body. If you can't get to a class, we've brought one of the studio's most effective moves to you. The burn starts with your seat and then works deep into the love handles.
- Begin by lying down with your belly on the mat, toes together, and knees apart.
- Ground your palms on the floor, placing them on top of one another with your forehead resting on the back of the hands.
- Squeeze your seat and lower back, floating your toes straight up toward the ceiling and lifting your knees off of the ground.
- Take 10-15 lifts with your toes aiming for the sky.
- With your legs still floating off of the ground, lift your forearms up in one motion.
- Keep your back and seat engaged while you lift your upper and lower body together. Do this 10-15 times.
See the bonus move after the break.