Summer and early Fall are a great time for kids to spend time in nature. But parents need to be careful that no one picks up the sap oil urushiol from plants like poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac. The oil can cause an allergic reaction — in the form of a red, itchy, puffy, weepy, or blistering rash — and can easily be transferred from kid to kid easily, as well as via clothes, outdoor gear, and even pet fur, according to the Centers For Disease Control and Prevention. Even after the initial exposure, the allergen can be persistent, and parents and children might find themselves desperate for relief. So to help soothe the aftereffects, we’ve rounded up nine remedies suggested by Circle of Moms members whose kids have previously come into contact with the poisonous plants.
A single bite from a tick might have your child turning his nose up at eating meat. Researchers at the University of Virginia recently discovered that about 50 percent of children who were bitten by the lone star tick, or Amblyomma americanum, developed an allergic reaction to meat, ranging from a rash to anaphylactic shock, ABC Good Morning America reports.
Dr. Scott Cummins, an assistant professor of medicine at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, believes the bug's saliva seeps into the bite wound and triggers the allergy. "We were surprised by how many kids were having reactions when we started looking in pediatric clinics for it," he says.
If the children ate meat, most developed a rash at the site of the tick bite, then three to six hours later they would have a more severe reaction from eating meat, such as hives or anaphylactic shock. "If a child has an exaggerated skin response to a tick bite, I would make an appointment with an allergist to have a blood test done, especially if the child happens to be one who eats meat."
The good news, Cummins says, is that the allergy seems to wane over time — unless the child is bitten by another tick.
Apparently, chocolate allergies are pretty rare. Since chocolate is made up of several ingredients including cocoa, milk, nuts, and soy lecithin, allergies can be triggered not only by cocoa, but also by one of these other ingredients. So if you do meet someone who has an allergy to chocolate, they're most likely allergic to one of these foods as well.
Symptoms of a chocolate allergy include headaches, heartburn, hives, or difficulty breathing. In severe cases, a person can go into anaphylactic shock from eating this sweet treat. It's pretty serious, and the only way to avoid issues is to pass on the triple chocolate mousse, Hershey's Kisses, and cocoa gelato.
This is so sad to me, since I am such a lover of all things chocolate. Tell me, do you know anyone with a chocolate allergy?
Allergy sufferers may shy away from keeping fresh flowers in their pads, but many blossoms are just as easy on the allergies as they are on the eyes. The pollen is easily removed on some blooms, but check out 10 of my favorite low-pollen picks for sneeze-free floral enjoyment year-round.
I just want to remind you of a disgustingly true fact. Dust mites live off the dead skin cells that you shed. So guess where they love to lurk? In your bed.
Yup, as you sleep, your skin sloughs off and works its way down into your mattresses and pillows. If the air in your room is humid (which in the warm weather it most likely is), dust mites get into your bed and your pillows and happily multiply into large colonies.Your own body creates heat as you breathe and perspire, and they love that too. There can be as many as 30,000 tiny dust mites living in just 1 oz of dust, and you are allergic to their poop.
With that said, let me ask you this - Can you remember the last time you changed your pillows? If you can't, now is the time to buy some new ones.
If you don't already have them, you can pick up dust mite pillowcases ($16.95) and encase your new pillows in them. If you recently bought new pillows, you can still use these special pillowcases, since not only do they not allow dust mites to get into your pillow, but they'll trap existing dust mites as well.
Fit's Tips: You can also pick up dust mite mattress covers ($114.95 for Queen Size). They keep dust mites trapped and won't allow in new critters.
If you need some more inspiration, like a visual of these little critters - then read more
For some people, seasonal allergies are all about itchy, watery eyes, sneezing, a runny nose, and heightened asthma symptoms. If you are one of those people, prescription and over-the-counter drugs might be a necessity. I just found out that when you take your drugs can greatly affect how well they'll work.
|For allergy symptoms, if you take meds like Allegra, Clarinex, Claritin, Zyrtec, Singulair, or nasal sprays like Astelin, Flonase, Rhinocort: Take your pills at bedtime to ensure that it will be in your blood stream in the early morning, when symptoms are at their worst|
|For asthma symptoms, if you take inhaled steroids like Advair or Flovent: Take your meds in the late afternoon (3 pm) so that they'll be in your system by 4pm when symptoms are often at their worst.|
If you ever thought you had allergies, I bet you've been through the awful skin test at the Allergist's office. The test includes about 40 pricks on your back, injecting you with tiny amounts of certain allergens such as dust, cat dander, and pollen. Then they wait about 20 minutes to see how your body reacts. If your skin creates a swollen bump, much like a mosquito bite, then the doctor knows what you are allergic to. If your skin doesn't react, the doctor would proceed to give you 12 more pricks containing more potent formulas of the same allergens - 6 on each arm. These allergens are injected deeper into you arms, than the pricks on your back. OUCH!!
I can tell you from firsthand experience, that the test is NO FUN. The appointment can take upwards of 3 hours. The skin test definitely isn't ideal by any means, but for a while, it was the only test available.
There's actually another much less traumatic test that can be used. It is a blood test - 1 prick - looking for immunoglobulin E, or IgE.
I wish I knew about this when I was going through my allergy testing. Want to know why I didn't? Then read more