If you're looking for a way to get some exercise while soaking in the Summer weather, take a hike. Grab a friend or two and hike through forests or trek up a mountainside. Before you head out, here are some rules to keep in mind.
- Stick to the dirt trail. It'll keep you safe and protect the natural environment. If everyone trampled wherever they wanted, there wouldn't be much plant life to enjoy.
- Don't disturb animals or their homes. If you see a beaver dam, just be an observer, and take a few pics if you want.
- Along the same lines, don't pick flowers or plants. Leave them for others to enjoy. It's also not a smart idea to touch plants since you don't know which might be poison ivy, or its West Coast cousin poison oak.
- Pack a small garbage bag so you can keep track of your trash, and pick up after other messy hikers.
- If you bring your dog, there may be a rule about keeping him or her on a leash. Follow this rule, as there may be fellow hikers on the trail who have other dogs or who are afraid of them. Be sure to clean up after your dog too.
There's more you should know before hitting the trail. To find out, read more