It may not be the hippest class to attend at the gym, but there are still many reasons why I love myself a good step aerobics class. While I'd like to say it's because I can don a Jane Fonda-esque spandex leotard; it's actually much more than that. The once über-popular workout fad of the '80s and '90s still wins my vote for these following reasons:
- When the instructor turns on the stereo system, there are bound to be powerfully motivating tunes (old and new) to get you through the jumping, lunging, and grapevining.
- Many teachers include some sort of dance (merengue or salsa) into the mix. I love a workout that encourages me to shake my groove thang.
- It's like riding a bicycle. Even if you haven't been to a step class in five years, you'll quickly remember how to do the "L" step or a hamstring curl.
- Since I don't always have time for lengthy workouts, I appreciate that most step classes are under an hour.
- The music may get my mind going, but the exercise certainly gives my body a run for its money. At the end of these classes, you can't tell whether I've taken a shower or desperately need to.