The pumpkins are hardly in the compost and the Christmas decorations are already popping up in storefronts, which means old man Winter is on his way. Before the leaves are all on the ground, I'm bulking up on my warm and hearty soup recipes. One of my all-time favorites is Italian wedding soup, but sometimes I'm just not in the mood for the meatballs. When that's the case, I take comfort in this yummy kale potato bean soup that's a cinch to make and a crowd-pleaser to boot.
Chock full of tasty veggies, protein packed beans, and other fresh ingredients, this vegetarian soup is quite tasty and easily adaptable. I, for instance, like to add more beans and corn to the mix every so often. And on those rare moments where I do want a little meat in the pot, it's simple enough to add bits of grilled chicken or meatballs. So the next time you think about kindling the fire, consider firing up a bowl of the kale potato bean soup to go along with it!
If you want to see the recipe, just read more.
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 cup cubed peeled potato
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups organic vegetable broth
4 cups chopped kale (about 1/2 bunch)
1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons shaved Parmesan cheese
1. Heat a large pot oven over medium-high heat. Add olive oil to pan.
2. Add garlic, onion, carrot, potato, and celery and sauté for 7 minutes or until tender.
3. Toss in salt and pepper and cook 1 minute.
4. Stir in 4 cups vegetable broth and kale. Bring to a boil and cover. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
5. Place drained black beans into the pot. Bring to a boil again. Reduce heat and simmer for another 5 minutes.
6. Stir in vinegar. Serve up in a bowl and add a bit of shaved Parmesan cheese on top!
- Soups/Stews, Stock/Broth
Nutritional information per serving:
250 calories, 11.8 g protein, 30.5 g carbohydrates, 9.2 g fiber, 10.4 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 593 mg sodium