Hero Pose is a contemplative posture that provides a wonderful stretch. If your quads are really tight, don't be concerned about taking the full expression of the pose lying down on your back. Keep your tush on your heels with your core engaged, and breathe deep.
- Kneel on a mat or carpet with your knees together. Separate your feet so you can sit down on the ground in between them. Use your hands to pull your calves out of the way.
- Take a look at your feet, and curl the arches around the curve of your bum, so your toes are pointing behind you and slightly toward one another.
- From here, shift your weight back, and bring one hand behind you and then the other.
- Stay here and sit, or come to lie all the way down, flat on your back. Try to keep your knees as close together as possible to feel a deeper stretch in your quads, and bring your hands to rest on the soles of your ankles.
- If you love it, hold for five breaths or longer, and when you're ready to come out, lean into your elbows and press yourself back up to a seated position.
Source: Laughing River Yoga