Summertime can be so cruel when it comes to the numbers on the scale, and not just because of Summer treats. It's sunny, warm, and gorgeous outside, gardens and grocery stores are bursting with fresh fruits and veggies, you're spending lots of time in the fresh air, but you seem to be putting on weight. What gives? If pounds are piling on, here are nine reasons why.
- Ugh, it's too hot to run. Heat and humidity are brutal, so if you can't summon the get-up-and-go to exercise outside, that's what air-conditioned gyms and swimming pools are for.
- You could really go for a cold one right about now. Whether it's an ice cold beer, lemonade, sweetened iced tea, fruit smoothie, or margarita on the rocks, all those chilly drinks (especially the alcoholic variety) are full of calories. Drink good ol' ice water or seltzer whenever you're parched.
- Another barbecue? Sure. I literally am invited to one barbecue a week, and since I love grilled foods, I just can't say no. Go easy on the beer, chips and dip, potato salad, and ribs smothered in barbecue sauce.
- It's sacrilegious to go to a carnival or ball game and pass on the Summer treats. Cotton candy, candy apples, funnel cake, corn dogs, hot dogs, sausage sandwiches, soft pretzels, curly fries — I just gained a pound thinking about all that. Make a rule to enjoy one treat per outing.
- Outdoor seating at restaurants call to you. Eating outside on an adorable patio with the Summer breeze and twinkling candles is fun and romantic, but if you're eating out more, you're most likely also consuming more calories.
To see that last five reasons keep reading.
- I scream, you scream, we all scream for . . . Summer is the perfect time to indulge in a sweet frozen treat. I loved visits from the ice cream truck when I was a kid, and now, that catchy little tune makes my mouth water thinking about Chocolate Eclairs, Orange Creamsicles, and Giant King Cones. If you can't resist running after the ice cream truck or a frozen treat after dinner, choose lower calories treats like Bomp Pops or other popsicles.
- Busy Summer schedules mean fast food and not enough time to exercise. Even if you're on the go from swim lessons to the beach to barbecues, with a little bit of planning, you can fit in a quick workout and pack some healthy meals and snacks.
- It's 9 p.m. and it's still light out! Longer days mean staying up late, and that means late-night snacking. Instead of grabbing cookies or chips, leave containers of cut up fruit in the fridge you can nosh on.
- Hey, you're on vacation. When you're living the good life on some exotic beach, you should definitely live it up a little. Just don't go way overboard on vacation between the cocktails and the all-you-can-eat buffets.
Tell me, which reason above is your downfall this Summer?