Summer is a time to let loose, but don't let too loose says Newsweek. When the mercury rises, so do the calories in some of our favorite alcoholic beverages. Here are the top six cocktails that'll do a number on your diet:
- Margarita. If you use a sugar-saturated Margarita mix, add tequila or Triple Sec, and then pour the drink into a salt-rimmed glass, the result could set you back 850 calories, Jackie Warner, a fitness trainer and the star of the Bravo network's Work Out says.
- Mudslide. A 12-ounce frozen mudslide—made with vodka, Kahlua liqueur, Bailey's Irish Cream, and vanilla ice cream — tastes like an alcoholic milkshake and is just about as unhealthy. It has 820 calories and 27.2 grams of fat.
- Piña Colada. If you like piña coladas, watch out: the rum, pineapple juice, and cream of coconut drink can contain up to 650 calories.
There's three more so read more.
- Mint Julep. You don't need a straw hat or a horserace to drink a mint julep. But the concoction of bourbon and mint-and-sugar syrup might set your diet back. One glass contains about 472 calories.
- Mojito. The classic mojito — a mixture of lime juice, sugar, mint leaves, rum, and soda — will run you about 242 calories.
- Daiquiri. A frozen strawberry daiquiri, made from strawberry schnapps, rum, lime juice, sugar, and strawberries contains about 220 calories.
As fun as they are, especially a mudslide — yum! — I think I'll be sticking to my occasional glass of wine. What about you?