When you just want to drop a few pounds, every little thing helps to achieve that goal. I came across a great little article on AOL Body about the little things you can do to help speed up weight loss.
Here are highlights:
- Chew gum: Smacking gum twice for 15 minutes a pop between lunch and an afternoon snack helped people consume 36 fewer calories per day, according to a study in the journal Appetite. Do this every day, and in one week, you could scrub a total of 252 calories from your diet.
- Think Small: Using small salad plates and bowls can help you eat 30 percent fewer calories at meals, says Brian Wansink, Ph.D., author of Mindless Eating. Likewise, drink out of skinny glasses (versus short, wide glasses), and you'll serve yourself 28 percent less.
- Nosh Grapefruit: It's no myth: Grapefruit could be a weight loss aid. In a 12-week study from the Journal of Medicinal Food, people who ate half a grapefruit three times a day (before each meal) lost an average of 3.6 pounds. Researchers believe grapefruit may lower insulin, a fat storage hormone.
- Slow Down: When women took more time to eat, they consumed 70 fewer calories than women who ate more quickly, according to a study from the University of Rhode Island. If you eat three meals a day, that could mean slashing 210 calories just by eating slower.
- Crunch Through Commercials: Here's a no-sweat get-fit tip: Do ab crunches during commercial breaks of your favorite shows. A 155-pound person who does a total of 15 minutes of ab moves burns about 50 calories.