HEALTH GUIDE REFERENCE FROM A.D.A.M
Thyrotropin Alfa (thye-roh-TROH-pin AL-fa)
Used with other tests to detect the return of thyroid cancer.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH).
How to Use This Medicine
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine. This medicine is given as a shot into one of your muscles.
- You will receive one shot of this medicine each day for two days or once every 72 hours for three doses. If you are having this test with radioiodine imaging, the radioiodine will be given 24 hours after you receive your last shot. The thyroid test will be given to you 72 hours after you receive your last shot. Be sure and follow your doctor's instructions closely during this time. You might have to avoid some types of food or stop taking certain medicines before your test.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breast feeding. Make sure your doctor knows if you have heart disease, kidney disease, or if you have any other cancer or tumors. Your doctor will need to know if you have been treated in the past with bovine thyroid stimulating hormone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing.
- Pain or weakness in your arm or leg, or on one side of your body.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Headache, dizziness, or muscle weakness.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Tingling or pricking feeling on your skin.
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest.
Source Doc: 45_4955