Where I live strep throat is already going around. It seems early to me, but bacterial infections unfortunately don't operate on my schedule. Strep flourishes in cold weather, and stress, exhaustion, as well as fighting off viral infections can weaken your body's defenses setting you up for an attack of strep throat. When it comes to strep, you want to catch it early before it depletes your health and you don't want to spread the contagious bacteria around.
Here are the symptoms to watch out for:
- Sore throat that comes on rapidly
- Headaches Fever, sometimes greater than 102° F
- A raw, red appearance to the back of the throat
- White pus on tonsils
- Tender, high lymph nodes in neck
- Rash on the body that feels like sandpaper
- Absence of a cough, stuffy nose, or other upper-respiratory symptoms
The incubation period for strep is 2 to 5 days and the infection is usually treated with a 10 day course of antibiotics.