I think the quads are the most over worked muscles in our bodies and they sure do get tight. This standing quad stretch is one of my favorite stretches because you can do it anywhere (I often do it when I am waiting for the elevator when no one is around). In fact I often refer to it as a "portable stretch" since you need no props to do it and you don't have to get on the ground.
Here are some tips:
- If the challenge of balancing on one leg proves too difficult and detracts from the stretch, hold onto something.
- Make sure that your knees are touching. This helps to target the stretch to the outside part of the quad which tends to overwork.
- Squeeze your booty just a bit to increase the stretch.
- Pulling your abs in will increase the stretch too! Engaging your deep abs will help with your balance too.
- To increase the stretch, you can bend the bottom knee a bit.
Hold Stretch for 20 - 30 seconds
This is a great stretch to do after just about any activity, from hiking or running, to swimming and biking. Stretch those quads ladies!!! Your knees will love you for it.