No one wants to waste time at the gym, so to make your strength training workouts more effective, you've got to keep your muscles guessing. Not only is it important to work your muscles in a different order, you also need to mix up the types of exercises you do. While push-ups and squats are great go-to moves because they target the upper and lower body beautifully, there are other ways to work those areas. Try variations of your favorite moves, or try new moves altogether and you'll end up toning your muscles in different ways that will make your body stronger, your muscles more sculpted, and will also help prevent the dreaded plateau.
If you've been doing the same strength training workout forever, here are some new ideas. Choose an entirely different routine to do each time you hit the gym, or pick a new exercise to add to your existing routine.
- Total body: Head-to-Toe Strength Training Routine
- Arms: Back to Basics: Tone Your Guns
- Legs: 5 Moves to Make Running Hills a Breeze
- Abs: All Abs Workout
- Tush and legs: Glutes and Hamstrings Workout
- Shoulders and upper back: Shoulder Shaping Strength Training Routine
- Tush: 3 Moves Form David Kirsch to Tone Your Butt
- Total body: Full Body Circuit Workout With Weights
- Back: 10 Must-Do Back Exercises
- Finish up with these 6 Essential Post-Workout Stretches