A shredded Brussels sprouts salad with caramelized onions, toasted almonds, and a tasty cumin-grapefruit vinaigrette!
Learn how to make this salad after the break!
1 lb. Brussels sprouts, very thinly sliced
1 medium onion, very thinly sliced.
2 Tbsp. olive oil
½ cup slivered almonds, toasted
1 grapefruit, juiced
½ tsp. grapefruit zest
¼ tsp. fresh ground black pepper
½ tsp. sea salt
¼ tsp. ground cumin
1 Tbsp. maple syrup
3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
¼ cup olive oil
Yields six to eight servings
1. Add olive oil to a large pan and heat over medium-low heat. Add thinly sliced onions and cook, very, very, slowly on lowheat until caramelized. This takes awhile, so you can do this ahead of time! Once they’re finished, shut off the heat and set aside.
2. Rinse and clean your Brussels sprouts. Slice them very thinly with a sharp knife or use a mandoline.
3. Toast your almonds with a pinch of salt in a toaster oven at 325ºF or in a warm dry pan, for a few moments. They toast quickly so don’t go far! You should just be able to smell them and they should be very lightly browned. Set them aside.
4. In a large bowl, combine the shredded sprouts, onions, and almonds. Add a pinch of salt and mix to combine.
5. In a Mason jar, add all dressing ingredients except olive oil. Give it a shake! Add the oil in and shake vigorously.
6. Plate your salad and drizzle some dressing over the top, shaking the dressing if it’s separated. (I don’t recommend dressing the salad ahead of serving time — it may make the sprouts taste a bit off.) Add some tofu or salmon for a complete dinner or lunch!
- Vegetables, Salads, Salads, Vegetables
Don't forget to share your own recipe ideas in our Healthy Recipe group in the Fit Community!