HEALTH GUIDE REFERENCE FROM A.D.A.M
Treats various types of pain.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use propoxyphene if you have ever had an allergic reaction to it.
How to Use This Medicine
Tablet, Capsule, Liquid
- Your doctor will tell you how much to use and how often.
- May be taken with food to avoid stomach upset.
- Drink plenty of fluids to help avoid constipation.
- Shake the oral liquid well just before using.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine carefully using a marked measuring spoon or medicine cup.
If a dose is missed:
- Use the missed dose as soon as possible.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store at room temperature, away from heat, light and moisture. Do not freeze the oral liquid.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Avoid drinking alcohol.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using any other medicines that could make you drowsy such as sedatives, cold or allergy medicine, sleeping pills, muscle relaxants, or other strong pain killers.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- This medicine can be habit-forming. You should not use more than the prescribed amount.
- Check with your doctor before using this medicine if you have kidney or liver problems, are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have a history of depression.
- If you have used this medicine for several weeks, ask your doctor before stopping. You may need to use smaller and smaller doses before stopping completely.
- This medicine can make some people drowsy or dizzy. Be careful if driving a car or using machinery.
- This medicine may cause constipation. This is more common if you use it for a long time. Ask your doctor if you should also use a laxative to prevent and treat constipation.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Fast or slow heartbeat
- Trouble breathing
- Hives, skin rash, itching
- Severe confusion
- Severe weakness or tiredness
- Changes in behavior
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Drowsiness or dizziness
- Dry mouth, nausea, or vomiting
- Headache or blurred vision
Source Doc: 45_0166