If you suffer from heartburn or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), the acid that's in your stomach comes back up through your esophagus, and results in burning and pain in your chest. It's often caused by the foods you eat, so here are some foods that will prevent these uncomfortable symptoms.
- Oatmeal with bananas — Opt for this high fiber, lowfat food instead of a sugary, fried doughnut for breakfast since high fat foods often lead to symptoms. Bananas naturally fight stomach acid, so the combination is perfect.
- Fresh ginger —This natural anti-inflammatory is an ancient remedy for digestive issues. Drink ginger tea, make your own ginger ale, suck on ginger candy, or grate some fresh ginger into your stir-fries.
To see the other foods, read more.
- Whole wheat pasta with lowfat white sauce — Tomato sauce is acidic and a surefire way to serve you up some heartburn. So go for a light sauce made from milk, cheese, or broth instead. Choose whole wheat pasta over white pasta since high fiber foods can help alleviate symptoms.
- Beans — They're not only good for the heart, but are also a good source of protein that's a great alternative to heartburn-causing meat.
- Applesauce — Baking with oil or butter may trigger heartburn symptoms, so replace it with applesauce in your baked good recipes.