Remember the Pet Food Recall I told you about? They thought it was contaminated wheat gluten that was causing cats and dogs to die of kidney failure.
This poison known as aminopterin actually isn't legal to use in the U.S. for killing rodents, although it is used as a cancer drug because it inhibits the growth of malignant cells. It is highly toxic if taken in high doses, and for small animals like cats and dogs, it can cause kidney failure.
The rat poison could have been used on wheat imported from China, and that's why it was thought that the contaminated wheat gluten was the culprit.
Fit's Tips: So far 15 cats and 1 dog have died from kidney failure due to eating pet food manufactured by Menu Foods. If this pet food recall is news to you, check to see if your pet food is on this list.