Some of my favorite activities, like running and biking, really make my hamstrings and the muscles of my lower back tight, so I love doing forward bends to stretch them out. Sometimes, I need a little help in order to get a really deep stretch.
Here is one of my favorite partner yoga poses that really provides a serious stretch for the back of my body. Partner #1 gets the hamstring and lower back stretch first, while Partner #2 gets to lounge back and open their chest - which also feels great after a long bike ride!
Want to hear how to get into this? Then read more
- Both partners sit down with their backs touching.
- Partner #1 brings about 3 ft between their legs, coming into a Seated Straddle position. Then they fold forward, walking their hands out in front of them.
- Partner #2 slowly leans back, resting their spine and head on Partner #1's back. If it feels comfortable, Partner #2 can hold onto Partner #1's feet.
- Keep talking to each other, making small adjustments if necessary.
- When either partner has had enough, they both slowly lift their torsos back up and then switch roles.
Fit's Tips: This is a really relaxing pose, great to do in the early morning or right before bed.
photo from Partner Yoga by Cain Carroll and Lori Kimata, N.D.