The following post was written by Olympic athlete and mom Kerri Walsh, two-time gold medalist in pairs beach volleyball.My most recent travels have me in Sanya, China. I am far far away from home and way out of my comfort zone when it comes to my diet and nutrition. I love Chinese food, but I've come to know that I love Americanized Chinese food, not the real deal. To combat my unadventurous taste buds, I have learned to travel with some goodies from home. The following are snacks that have already come in handy while here in China. Perhaps they'll work for you too!
- Organic food bars: I bring the "protein" kind just in case the local fare proves mysterious. Great for the plane or for a quick healthy snack.
- Nano greens: If you've read my blog before, you'll already have heard of these. They are a staple in my travel bag.
- Almond butter: Another good source of protein and yumminess!
- Raw nuts: They speak for themselves.
Kerri shares more food tips so keep on reading.
- Oatmeal: A good option if you are gluten free or if you need help staying away from the baked goods in the mornings.
- Trail mix: Always good to munch on and a great addition to your oatmeal if you are looking to give it some more flavor and crunch.
- Starkist or chicken of the sea tuna/salmon pouches: These are brilliant and so easy to travel with. They are a great addition to salads or on toast. Also a good option for those who are traveling with kids . . . my Joey always loves tuna!
- Pirate's Booty: I am addicted to this snack! It's pretty healthy, ridiculously delicious and good for the kiddies too (Joey's favorite!).
Be sure to catch up and read all of Kerri's great posts on FitSugar!