HEALTH GUIDE REFERENCE FROM A.D.A.M
Treats head lice infection.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to malathion. You should not use this medicine on a child less than 1 year of age.
How to Use This Medicine
- This medicine is for use on the skin only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. Do not use it on skin areas that have cuts or scrapes. If it does get on these areas, rinse it off right away.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine.
- Use only on scalp hair. Keep your eyes tightly closed while applying this medicine. If skin irritation occurs, wash your scalp immediately.
- This medicine comes with patient instructions. Read and follow these instructions carefully. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- This medicine is flammable. Keep the lotion and hair wet with lotion away from open flames. Do not use electric heat sources such as hair dryers and curlers when you apply this medicine, or while your hair is wet. Do not smoke while applying this medicine or while hair is wet. Let your hair to dry naturally.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, apply it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to apply the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep this medicine away from heat or open flame.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of the used medicine container and any leftover medicine after you have finished your treatment. You will also need to throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use cosmetics or other skin care products on the treated skin areas.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Do not get this medicine in your eyes. If some accidentally gets in your eye, flush your eye with water for at least 10 minutes. If your eye becomes irritated call your doctor immediately.
- Do not use this medicine on your child unless approved by your doctor.
- Do not use this medicine for a skin problem that has not been checked by your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Stinging sensation or irritation on your scalp or skin.
Source Doc: 45_5203