A protein- and fiber-packed breakfast jump-starts your metabolism, providing energy to last the day. But some choices for your morning meal can be loaded with added sugar, causing you to crash. Skip the sweetened cereals and sugary baked goods and opt for these deliciously filling breakfast ideas, all containing under 20 grams of sugar and many naturally sweetened.
- Nonfat vanilla Chobani yogurt (13 grams) and one cup of Kashi GoLean cereal (6 grams): 19 grams of sugar
- Half a cup of organic oats (1 gram), one small apple, chopped (15.5 grams), with eight almonds, chopped (0.5 grams): 17 grams of sugar
- Omelet made with two large eggs (0.4 grams), one ounce shredded monterey jack cheese (0 grams), one cup raw spinach (0.1 grams), and six cherry tomatoes, sliced (0.9 grams): 1.4 grams of sugar
- One slice of whole wheat toast (3 grams), smeared with one tablespoon all-natural peanut butter (0.5 grams), and topped with one small banana, sliced (12.4 grams): 15.9 grams of sugar
- Smoothie made with one extra-small banana (9.9 grams), four medium frozen strawberries (2.2 grams), half cup of frozen blueberries (7.4 grams), and half cup of chopped raw kale (0 grams): 19.5 grams of sugar
Source: Flickr User woodleywonderworks