HEALTH GUIDE REFERENCE FROM A.D.A.M
Treats rheumatoid arthritis in adults.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to leflunomide, or if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
If a dose is missed:
- Use your medicine as soon as possible unless it is almost time for your next dose.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next regular dose.
- Do not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store at room temperature in a closed container, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep this and all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using cholestyramine (Questran®), methotrexate, or rifampin (Rifadin®).
- Unless directed by your doctor, do not receive flu shots or other vaccines while you are using leflunomide.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- This medicine may cause birth defects if it is taken by the mother while she is pregnant, or by the father when his sexual partner becomes pregnant.
- Use two forms of birth control to avoid pregnancy while you are using this medicine and for several weeks after your treatment ends. This is very important whether you are a man or a woman.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have kidney disease, a severe or untreated infection, or liver disease, including a positive hepatitis B or C blood test.
- Before using this medicine, your doctor may need to check your blood. Blood tests may also be performed each month while you are using the medicine. Be sure to keep all appointments for this testing.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Dark-colored urine
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Flu-like symptoms
- Loss of appetite with weight loss
- Right-sided stomach pain
- Swelling, itching, or hives
- Wheezing or trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Hair loss
Source Doc: 45_0964