Once the muscles are warm, you can try this movement, which creates a deep burn in the hips, glutes, and thighs.
- Start by kneeling on both knees, and straighten the right leg out to the side. Push your palms together in a prayer position in front of your chest.
- Lunge toward the right side, then straighten leg. Complete eight lunges then switch sides.
- After eight repetitions, lunge to the right side to complete Serpent hip circles.
- While in a side lunge, tilt your hips forward, squeezing your glutes, and circle to the right.
- Complete eight Serpents, then switch sides and repeat, circling your hips to the left side.
- Repeat this series two times, on each side.
Tip: Remember to keep your knees over your toes when lunging to prevent knee injury. Also, keep the glutes engaged to protect the lower back when circling the hips. Try to avoid overarching the back.