Remember the summers of your youth, jumping rope on the sidewalk with your friends? Good fun mixed with good exercise that didn't even feel like exercise. I am here to say, it might just be time to put jumping rope back into your fitness routine. It is a major cardio workout with minor costs. Yep, jumping rope will definitely give you bang for your buck.
- Rope length: Standing in the middle of the rope, the handles should reach just below your shoulders. If not, adjust accordingly by winding around your hands or finding a longer rope.
- Jump small: There is no need to jump more than 2 inches off the floor. Jumping higher puts more stress on your knees and actually burns fewer calories (talk about a lose/lose situation).
- Variations: Mix up your jumping pattern to really keep you on your toes! Add jumping side to side in pattern like this will also work your inner and outer thighs:
- Jump center for 5 passes of the rope
- Jump to the left keeping your legs together, and then back to center on the next rope pass
- Stay in the center for a 5 jumps, then jump to the right.
You can purchase The Workout for $12.71 from Amazon.