Enter to win in the Get Fit For 2011 giveaway by completing any challenges you may have missed, like FitSugar reader oatmealrunner, who shared her review of the Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown DVD for the eighth challenge of our Get Fit For 2011 giveaway.
I've decided in an effort to stay fit and save some cash, I am going to try a variety of DVD workouts (via Netflix) and give you my review. This way you know what videos are worth renting/buying and which ones you can leave on the shelf. Now onto the review.
I purchased the Yoga Meltdown workout DVD sometime ago but have not thoroughly reviewed it. Being an fairly dedicated yogi (6 years of practice and counting), I was curious to see what Jillian was going to do — yoga and yelling don't exactly mix if you ask me — but I was willing to go into it open-minded.
The DVD consists of 2 workouts: level one and level two. I felt that level one focuses a lot on arms, whereas level two is more about the legs and abs. Each workout is approximately 30 minutes, which is great if you're strapped for time.
See the review when you read more.
- Jillian Michaels is great at making you feel like she's watching your every move, even if she's just on TV. I felt compelled to complete each sequence and push my self in every pose.
- You burn calories! You will sweat, you will burn calories, and be prepared to feel it the next day.
- You will move in and out of each pose about 10 times and then at the end you will hold the pose for 15 seconds. Jillian provides you with options based on your fitness level, so as you get better you can try the more advanced poses.
- If you've never done yoga, this may not be the best workout for you. Jillian moves quickly through poses with little instruction, so if you're not familiar with the pose already it may be hard to keep up.
- This is definitely not any type of traditional yoga I'm familiar with. I enjoy power yoga classes, but this workout was much different. If you're hoping for more of a traditional approach to yoga, I would try going to your local studio or gym class first.
- Some of the poses (i.e. crow) are a little advanced even for yogis who have been practicing for awhile. Although I'm all for trying something new, without proper instruction, some of the poses can pose a danger if done incorrectly.
All in all I would give the Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown a seven out of 10. It's challenging, you'll work up a good sweat, and burn some needed calories — I would recommend giving it a try.
Check out my blog: http://oatmealrunner.blogspot.com/
You, too, can enter to win our weekly prize of a $100 New Balance gift card and our fabulous grand prize — a four-day fitness boot camp in LA. Complete any of the previous challenges in our Get Fit For 2011 community group. The more you participate, the greater your chances of winning!