We are pumped to share one of our fave stories from Self here on FitSugar!
Instead of reaching for shapewear when your sexy new date night dress doesn't fit, try a few of these tummy toning tips from celebrity trainer and fitness advisor for USANA Health Sciences, Kathy Kaehler.
- Drink Plenty of H2O: Skip the soda and the wine. Opt for water, water, and more water instead. Drinking water flushes the system and helps flatten out your mid-section.
- Tone Up: A fantastic exercise to do on a daily basis is the plank. Hold it for at least one minute or build up to that. It works the core muscles from top to bottom and inside out. A super strong core keeps that belly pulled in and tight.
- Limit the Gassy Foods: When you want to slim down that belly to fit into clothes for a big night out, keep the veggies at bay hours before you dress. That will limit the gas and reduce the bloat.
- Kick up the Cardio: Walk, walk, walk! I have all my clients, including Julia Roberts, walk. Whether you are outside or on a treadmill, walking is a great way to trim up the body, keep you at your ideal weight, and, because you use most of your muscles, add more lean body weight (which burns more calories and helps you stay lean!).
Keep reading to find out what exercise you should be doing to tone your core!
Target: core, triceps
You'll Need: a mat (optional)
How to do It: Start in a standing position. Bend over and touch the floor with your hands, bending your knees if necessary. Walk your hands all the way out into a push up position. Hold for 1-2 seconds.
Then engaging your core, raise right arm out in front of your body. Hold for 1-2 seconds. Lower arm and slowly walk hands back to toes. Stand up and repeat for 30 seconds to a 1 minute alternating arms.
More stories from Self:
- 5 Belly-Shrinking, De-Bloating Foods
- 3 Plank Variations We Love
- Want a Makeover? Test Drive Your Date Night Looks