- Since obesity plays a big role in developing type 2 diabetes, maintain a healthy weight by eating appropriate portion sizes.
- Get moving. Exercise not only prevents obesity, but it also improves your body's use of insulin.
- Go for whole grains. Research shows that a diet rich in whole grains such as brown rice, quinoa, and oatmeal can reduce a person's risk for type 2 diabetes.
For the last two prevention techniques, keep on reading.
- Get your blood pressure checked. If it's high, talk to your doctor about ways to lower it through diet, exercise, or possibly medication.
- Limit your alcohol intake. One or less drinks per day is considered a healthy amount, but if your alcohol consumption is high, your risk for type 2 diabetes increases. Beer and wine contain carbs that may raise your blood sugar levels, and alcohol also increases blood pressure.
Tell me, are you worried about developing type 2 diabetes?