If it feels like you're constantly battling a cold, a weakened immune system might be to blame. Making a few changes to your lifestyle can help strengthen your body's ability to fight back against pesky germs and keep you feeling healthy.
- Drink green tea: Green tea can help you lose weight and de-stress, but it has also been linked to preventing the flu. In a study, Japanese children who drank green tea six times a week were less likely to catch a bug than their peers.
- Work out consistently: According to the American College of Sports Medicine, people who exercise on a regular basis report fewer colds than their inactive peers. Studies have shown a 25 to 50 percent decrease in sick time for people who take part in moderate exercise for at least 45 minutes most days of the week.
- Promote positivity: When you're feeling down and negative, you might be doing more harm to your body than you realize. Keeping your attitude light and happy can do more than help you stop stressing; optimism also boosts your immunity.
- Keep your sweet tooth in check: Naturopath practitioner Dr. Holly Lucille explains that too much sugar is one of the biggest problems that contributes to being "immuno-compromised or susceptible to catching flus." Limiting your sugar intake will help toughen up your immune system for the long haul.
Keep reading for more ways to prevent bugs and boost your immunity.
- Try probiotics: Dr. Lucille also suggests taking a high-quality probiotic supplement since "89 percent of our immune system" is driven by having good microflora in your gut that help battle viruses. Eating cultured foods like yogurt, kraut, and kimchi are other tasty options beyond supplements.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate: Even if it's not hot outside, dehydration can compromise your immune system and lead to other health problems. Drinking plenty of water every day helps your body flush out toxins and stay in balance.
- Book a massage: Spa treatments may seem like an unnecessary indulgence, but studies have shown that just one 45-minute Swedish massage session increases white blood cell counts, an important part of your immune system.
- Take off the weight: If you need another reason to start losing weight, excess body fat hinders your body's ability to fight off germs, making it more susceptible to infections and viruses.