- Main Dishes, Fish
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern
One pound halibut steak cut into 8 to 12 pieces
1 tbs fresh lemon juice
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
2 tbs dry white wine
1 medium sized onion cut in half and sliced medium thick
3 large carrot, sliced on diagonal
1 large head of cauliflower, cut into bite sized pieces
1 medium sized fennel bulb sliced medium thick
5 medium cloves garlic pressed or minced
salt and black pepper and lemon juice to taste
chopped fennel green tops for garnish
I am loving poached fish and this new recipe is wonderfully mild and cooling on a hot Summer's day.
- Slice onion and chop garlic and let sit for 5-10 minutes to bring out their hidden health-promoting properties.
- Rub halibut with lemon juice and season with a little salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tbs white wine in a large stainless steel skillet. Wet sauté onion in broth over medium heat for 5 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add broth and carrots to pan. Simmer on medium heat for about 10 minutes covered.
- Add cauliflower. Simmer on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add fennel and garlic. Place halibut steaks on top and continue to cook covered for about 6 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve halibut with vegetables and broth on rice or whole wheat cous-cous. Sprinkle with chopped fennel greens and a squeeze of lemon.
One serving, not including rice or couscous is about 250 calories.