Easy Whole Grain, Fruit, and Nut Energy Bars
3 cups puffed whole-grain cereal (e.g., puffed wheat or Kashi)
1/2 cup chopped nuts or seeds (or a combination)
1/2 (or up to 3/4) cup chopped dried fruit (one fruit, or a combination)
3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
1/3 cup creamy nut or seed butter (e.g. peanut, cashew, almond, soy; natural style is fine)
1/2 cup honey (or brown rice syrup, light molasses, sorghum, or maple syrup)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x9-inch square metal baking pan foil; spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl mix the cereal, nuts, dried fruit and (optional) flaxseed; set aside.
- Place the nut butter and honey in small heavy saucepan. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, whisking constantly for about 1 minute until bubbly and smooth.
- Pour hot mixture over cereal mixture in bowl, stirring to blend (mix well to coat all of the cereal).
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan. Using a large square of wax paper or foil, firmly press mixture down into pan to firmly compact.
- Bake until just golden around edges, about 10 minutes.
- Cool completely. Remove bars using foil liner and cut into 16 bars or squares.
Makes 16 servings.