From my Gram
Coconut Almond Macaroons for Passover or Anytime
2 egg whites
2 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
3/4 cup Sucanat (or turbinado sugar)
Pinch of salt
1 tsp almond extract (omit if observing Passover)
Sliced almonds (optional)
These macaroons are a cinch to make and taste out of this world.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Separate the egg whites and place them in a bowl.
- Pour in all the other ingredients into bowl with egg whites and mix them well. They should look like this.
- Lightly grease two cookie sheets with a little Canola oil.
- Drop spoonfuls onto the cookie sheet, about an inch or two apart. If you want to add some almonds, sprinkle them in the middle of each cookie and gently press them in.
- Bake until light brown, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Allow them to cool on the pan for at least five minutes before removing with a spatula (if you try to remove them right out of the oven, they'll break apart).
- Store uneaten cookies in a sealed container and they'll stay fresh for up to three days. This recipe makes about 24 cookies.