For the ultimate morning starter this recipe combines two super proteins: quinoa and eggs. The quinoa serves as a crust while providing 12 grams of complete protein per half-cup, while each egg offers seven grams of protein. You'll even get your iron and calcium from the spinach and milk in this tasty recipe. Make this quinoa egg bake on a Sunday and you'll have breakfast (at under 250 calories per square) for the whole workweek.
Read on for the recipe.
Quinoa Egg Bake with Thyme and Garlic
1 teaspoon butter or butter substitute
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
1 1/4 cup nonfat milk
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 teaspoon chopped thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cups packed baby spinach, roughly chopped
1 cup finely shredded Romano or Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch x 8-inch glass or metal baking dish with butter; set aside.
- Put quinoa into a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cold running water until water runs clear; drain well.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper, and quinoa. Stir in spinach, then pour mixture into prepared dish.
- Cover tightly with foil then jiggle dish gently from side to side so that quinoa settles on the bottom in an even layer. Bake until just set, about 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and sprinkle top evenly with cheese. Return to oven and bake, uncovered, until golden brown and crisp, 10 to 15 minutes more.
- Set aside to let cool briefly, then slice and serve.