Keep reading to learn how to create this penne alla "not-ka."
2 teaspoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup chopped red onion
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
Pinch red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons heavy cream
6 tablespoons evaporated nonfat milk
8 ounces whole wheat penne pasta
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
Fresh basil chiffonade
Freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the penne.
- In a large saucepan, heat the two teaspoons oil with the garlic over low heat until the garlic begins to brown, about three minutes.
- Add the onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt, cover, and cook until the onion is softened, about two more minutes.
- Add the tomato, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the red pepper flakes. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat, and simmer very gently 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and evaporated milk and simmer one more minute.
- Meanwhile, after the sauce has cooked five minutes, add the penne to the boiling water and cook until just shy of al dente. Drain, reserving about 1/2 cup pasta water.
- Add the drained penne to the saucepan and simmer until the penne is al dente, one to two minutes, adding a little of the pasta cooking water if the mixture is dry. Stir in 1/4 cup of the parmesan.
- To serve, divide pasta among four serving bowls. Top off with basil chiffonade and black pepper to taste.
Nutritional information per serving: calories 324, protein 13.7 grams, and fiber 7.1 grams.
- Main Dishes