1 package whole-wheat macaroni or cavatappi, cooked
1 1/2 cups cubed butternut squash, boiled and pureed
1 cup low-fat organic milk
1 tablespoon organic butter or butter alternative
3 tablespoons nonfat Greek yogurt
1 cup grated part-skim sharp cheddar
1/2 cup grated gruyère cheese
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Put the butternut squash puree in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the milk, butter, and yogurt and continue to stir until incorporated.
- When the puree begins to simmer, slowly start adding the cheeses, mixing the entire time. When all of the cheese is melted and the sauce begins to thicken, season with a little salt and pepper, to taste. Taste and season until the desired flavor is achieved.
- When the flavor is spot-on, stir in 1/4 of the macaroni at a time.
- When all of the pasta is saturated with the cheese sauce, transfer the mixture to an oven-safe casserole dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the casserole from the oven and allow it to cool for at least 10 minutes. Serve hot!
- Main Dishes