I tend to think of myself as relatively flexible when it comes to others but when it comes to gym behaviors, ugh, I have some serious pet peeves. The thing is, the gym is a communal place, which means we all are sharing and one a-hole talking loudly on his phone about his wild night can really ruin the experience for everyone.
To avoid being that guy/girl, keep in mind a few gym etiquette tips:
- Wiping off your sweat from equipment -- Good if you already do it, gross if you don't.
- Returning equipment to its original place -- Your mother is not picking up after you here and it's not fair for the next person looking for the 15 lbs weights to have to search for them.
- Keep noise to a minimum -- We're all working out hard here, so major disturbances like grunting and slamming weights together are really not necessary.
- Cutting in Line -- How old are we here? Cutting in line is rude and childish. Wait your turn and think about asking if you can work-in with someone else's sets.
- Mind how much space you're taking up -- Don't talk on your cell phone loud (or at all really) and pace back and forth. Don't use equipment as a place to keep your things, someone may be waiting to use that bench your crap is sitting on.
Basically, as cheesy as it sounds, the Golden Rule applies even when you're at the gym: Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.