2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup chopped sweet onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons minced peeled ginger
2 pounds carrots, peeled and chopped
1 medium russet potato, peeled and chopped
6 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 1/3 cups plain low-fat Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
Freshly ground pepper
- Combine the olive oil and onion in a Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium-high heat. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, 10 minutes, until just starting to caramelize.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, 2 more minutes, being careful not to burn the mixture. Stir in the carrots, potato, and the chicken or vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until the carrots and potato are very tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a small sauté pan over high heat, lightly toast the pine nuts. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, honey, thyme, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender until very smooth (or puree in a regular blender in batches). Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper and serve with a dollop of the yogurt mixture and some pine nuts.
Makes 8 servings.