Instead of just going along steadily on the elliptical workout, add squat intervals to your cardio to really give your legs a workout. Here's how:
- Hop on the elliptical and warm-up for five minutes.
- Start pedaling backwards.
- Keeping your back straight and shoulders square, slowly let go of the hand rails.
- Once you feel comfortable, sink into a partial squat (not a full squat, just about three-fourths of the way down) while continuing to pedal. You'll know you're doing it because your thighs should really start burning.
- Try and hold the squat for 20-30 seconds. Work your way up to 60 seconds.
- Now pedal normally for a three minutes and repeat the squat intervals throughout your entire workout.
Fit's Tip: If you find yourself losing balance, you can lightly hold on. Just remember: The more you use your arms to hold on, the less of a workout you're getting.