Before buying a Yoga mat, you've got to know what kind of a yogi you are first. Try out some different kinds of Yoga to see which one speaks to you. You can borrow the studio or gym mats for your first few classes, but if the smell alone doesn't drive you to buy one, then thinking about how many thousands of bodies have sweat on them will. Ewww.
Here are my picks:
- Are you a sensitive yogi, one that needs extra cushioning? Try a Manduka mat. It's dangerously slippery though if you're a sweater. Watch out.
- If you are a sweaty yogi, or like practicing Bikram or Ashtanga, get a rug to put over your sticky mat. It'll absorb your sweat, but make sure to wash it often. They get really stinky.
- Are you an environmental yogi, wanting a mat that's good for both you & Mother Earth? Try a rubber mat. They're bio-degradable.
- Are you a tall yogi & need a longer mat?
- Are you a travelling yogi and need a lightweight mat? Try this mat from Hugger Mugger.
If those mats aren't for you then, read more
See you on the mat...