1 cup whole grain flour (I used spelt but you could use whole wheat)
1 cup old fashioned oats
½ cup pitted prunes (around 11 prunes)
½ cup raisins
½ cup dried apricots
1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
2 T cacao nibs (optional)
⅓ cup water + approx. 1-2 T
Preheat oven to 325ºF. Cover an 8-inch x 8-inch pan with parchment paper.
- Place prunes, raisins and apricots in a mini-chopper or food processor and pulse until well chopped.
- Combine flour, oats, chopped fruit mixture, nuts, cacao nibs and 1/3 cup water in a large bowl and knead with your hands until a ball of dough forms. (Add more water if the mixture is too dry.)
- Press dough firmly and evenly into the prepared pan. Cut into squares with a sharp knife before placing in the oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until baked through but still soft (don’t overbake them or the bars will be dry and tough).
- Store leftover bars in the refrigerator.
- Snacks, Nuts