Staying healthy on a road trip can be a serious challenge. Don't worry - Diet.com has got your back. Here are a few of their suggestions to make sure your diet can stay on track while you are on the road.
- Plan ahead just as you do at home. Consider where you are going and what your best choices are and plan regular meals. A good game plan will prevent you from making bad choices.
- Pack healthier fare in your car. Bring a cooler and pack it with cut-up fresh fruit and veggies, string cheese, yogurt, sandwiches and water. Stop at a rest stop along the way and enjoy!
- Use Google maps to search restaurants along the way or at your destination. This will help you identify healthier places before you settle on the first restaurant you see.
There are more tips to help you hold your own when dining at a fast food joint. So read more
- Do some research and check fast food restaurant websites, many have full nutrition information available to help you make better decisions. Check out these FitSugar nutritional breakdowns to help you.
- Save 100’s of calories by skipping the mayo or special sauce. Order mustard instead.
- Choose fresh veggies whenever possible and opt for a side salad (with fat-free or low-fat dressing on the side) instead of fries.
- Choose a grilled or broiled chicken sandwich over crispy or fried items. Really, you should avoid fried food in general.
- Limit sodas and juices and choose water instead.
- Order a kids meal for instant portion control! You too can enjoy a Happy Meal and keep the prize!
- Choose whole wheat bread when available for sandwiches.
- Order dressing and sauce on the side so you can moderate how much to use. Avoid cream based dressings they are considerably more fattening than vinaigrettes.
Hope these help and have fun on the road. Drive safely and buckle up!